Thursday, October 11, 2012

How To Get More Traffic To Your Blog: Craigslist

Okay, I discovered something last night, and I just had to share it. While trying to think about ways to promote my blog and advertise, somehow this idea popped into my head, and I'm so glad it did.

Last evening I went onto Craigslist, and went to my town's Computer Gigs section. I typed up a quick ad, and posted it to the site. I'm not sure if advertising on Craigslist is allowed, or white hat, or anything, but all I know is it worked extremely well.

I went to all the big towns (New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, etc) and posted on their page. I put the exact same ad for each one. After ten minutes, and five posts, I checked my page views for the day.

They had tripled. And it wasn't just quick click, then leaving. People were staying, people were commenting. I was shocked.

Here's a picture of what my ad looked like:

I placed this ad on multiple "Computer Gigs" post lists on Craigslist.

So before writing this post today, I check my feeds subscribers. They were increased 110%. I was again shocked that so little work had such great results. I realized then it's all about getting your name out there.

So here's how I did it, step by step:

Step One: Pick a Town's Craigslist Posting Page
You can do that by going to Craigslist here and picking a town.

Step Two: Click on anything under "Gigs"
I picked "Computer Gigs", since it seemed fitting.

Step Three: Pick "I Need To Hire".
It really doesn't matter, but you'll get more views that way.

Step Four: Finish that, and enter in your information. 
I picked a title saying "Blog Readers Needed" and put the location as "Anywhere".

Step Five: Type Up a Quick Ad.
Fill in your email, and click "No Pay" (Unless you're paying people to read your blog).

Step Six: Submit It and Confirm by Email
Once you do, it'll be live on the site.

I'm not sure if Craigslist will keep these ads up or take them down for spam. I didn't do it on my account so I'm not worried about being banned or anything, so if you are I wouldn't recommend this. This is just a way to get your blog's name out there, and maybe gain some readers or subscriptions from it.

If you're worried about Craigslist getting upset or something horrific happens from Google because of this, this is my warning (and way of not getting angry comments from it). I don't know if it will work for sure, but it definitely worked for me, and I want to share my success.

What was your biggest advertisement success?

Also, a great site to view for a plethora of advertising ideas is SEOMOZ, it's a great site and has helped me out a lot.

Happy Blogging!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...